The Webcam Darts Forum

How do tournament draws work?

DrDarts posted this 31 July 2022

I'm fully aware that this question will make me sound either like a lunatic, or a stats geek, or a sore loser (or all of the above). smiley cool

I've been playing tournaments here for about half a year fairly regularly (at least 2-3 per week) and something that I noticed within the first few weeks was that I seemed to be unlucky enough to only draw opponents whose 3-dart average was considerably higher than mine. Every single time, without exception. So I started keeping records. Now, several months later, my records show that in the last 39 tournements I have NEVER been drawn against an opponent with a 3-dart average lower than mine. For context, my 3-dart average has been fairly stable between 45-50 over the last half year, so there should be enough players with lower averages on the website. To cut a long story short, the stats geek in me has difficulties believing this is a conincidence. I'm NOT suggesting there is some kind of conspiracy going on and the whole world has turned against me, but I'm genuinely curious: is it a random number algorithm that allocates players, or some kind of seeding where stronger players are purposefully paired with weaker players?

Any insights welcome! smiley roll

toninator posted this 04 November 2022

being it is a tournament i think higher average players would play rather then lower average players. being someone with a 70 av would think they have a decent shot at making it somewhere, where as a player with a 40 45 av wont even play being they feel thier game isnt up to the level as most entering said tournament